http://www.facebook.com/pages/SAVE-BELLINGEN-HOSPITAL/325341765049

BELLINGEN NSW

SAVE BELLINGEN HOSPITAL's Fan Box

FACEBOOK FANS FOLLOW THE SOS PIONEERS TO SAVE BELLO HOSPITAL.

FACEBOOK FANS FOLLOW THE SOS PIONEERS TO SAVE BELLO HOSPITAL.
To those who have gone into the front lines before us on this one here we are - right behind you.
BEYOND THE OFFICIAL PARAMETERS OF OUTRAGE. GARN.

Friday, October 7, 2011

WALKING


  • Irene Donovan: Remember when all the Aboriginal women had to walk from Bowerville to Bellingin to have their babies, through the bushes their were no roads back then,Due to my birth there, I did the back to Bower from Bellingen walk in about 1987
    over a year ago · Delete Post

  • Sammi Cambray The tenacity of a woman to walk so far through what I imagine to be dense and difficult terrain inspires me. Perhaps, (and I am speaking as a white mama, so indigenous people please be honest if this sounds like an insensitive idea), it would be great if a group of us could do that walk to highlight the history of the hospital and the injustices that the indigenous women of the Bowraville area had to face, and even link it to the difficulties in travelling to Coffs for outlying women such as those in the valleys and on the plateau to access maternity services. I think it would be a great media grabber.
    over a year ago · Delete Post

  • SAVE BELLINGEN HOSPITAL I think the bowra walk is pretty sacred. I think we need someone who will walk from Bello to Coffs as the Aboriginal People had to do from Bowra to Bello. That is now accepted as an outrageous thing to have expected people to do. Now, we are asked to take it for granted that we travel these distances. Would make a good looking protest. Might start a discussion on what protest/ celebration would work for Bellingen as it is now.
    over a year ago · Delete Post

  • Carol Leon. They should go back and read or listen to the The Elders from the Indiginous people of this land as a lot of our relatives use to walk the back road from Bowraville to Bellingen Hostpital to have there babies
    over a year ago · Delete Post

  • Angel M Williams: without speaking on behalf of all Indigenous people of the Nambucca Valley. I would like to say that the Bellingen Hosp has a special connection with my family from years gone by. When we ( my Elders) as Aboriginal people were not allowed within the Macksville Hosp my family walked from Bowraville to Belligen for treatment. good luck with your plight my family fully support you
    over a year ago · Delete Post

  • SBH, I think the Bello to Coffs walk may be a better idea- I don't want to stand on any toes or make any comparisons between what the indigenous women had to endure to get to the hospital. Also, I don't want it to look like we are 'hijacking' a past (?) indigenous issue for the hospital cause.
    over a year ago · 
     · Report · Delete Post

  • Do you know anyone who can walk that far, Sammi ? I am in the old and Unfit sector.Good online. Timid in the flesh. Well done with the Photo Shoot.
    There will be other ideas out there as well, I should think. It just took my fancy. Imagine if the people from south walked the Bowra walk again ( Angel has listed that as a possible) and Bello took it from Bello to Coffs ! (brainstorming). 
    over a year ago · Delete Post

  • Any one who were unable to walk could go on mobility scooters or wheel chairs crutches on horseback the possabilities are endless

No comments:

Post a Comment